The Mystery Capsules are the main collectable series of the LOL Surprise! dolls. On average each ball costs $10.00 and includes several layers of surprises based on one doll. Each doll belongs to a specific theme or "club". Each doll also has one or two water-based features.
Series 1 and 2 featured seven layers of surprises, with Series 3 and 4 increasing the number and costs. Series 3 also introduced a new style of capsule and was named Confetti Pop. Series 4 (known as both Eye Spy and Under Wraps), transformed the spherical ball into a cylinder.
Rarity and important symbols
Each character is defined by their rarity, which takes the form of a symbol. The higher it is, the more difficult they are to find. Special LOL can be identified by their gold, glittery, or shiny coloring (depending on the series).
- Popular – Circle
- Fancy – Purple Four-pointed Star
- Rare – Yellow Star
- Ultra-Rare – Pink Heart
- OMW/On My Way – Green # (Hashtag)
- No Longer Available – Napping or Catnap (for Pets) is printed on or beneath the image
- Fabulous – Diamond
The LOL are based around various themes, such as:
- School Personalities/types/nicknames
- School Clubs
Each doll has 1 or 2 water-based gimmicks. These include:
- Mystery (shooting water from the ears)
- Color change (in hot or ice water, some color changers have variants that do not change color, as well as clothing items that will change color)
In each ball, these items can be found:
- Secret message picture
- Cry, Pee, Spit, and Color Change sticker sheet to mark the L.O.L checklist
- Dress or Outfit
- Shoes (or in some cases an extra-item)
- Sticker Page with additional mystery surprise
- Confetti Pop
- A spyglass
- Secret Message
- Water Surprise Sticker Page
- Secret Codes List
- Jelly Outfit
- Secret Message
- Doll Stand
- Hair Curlers
- Layer 1 (disguise)
- Layer 2 (disguise)
- Layer 3 (disguise)
- Layer 4 (disguise)
- Magic Mirror
- Pet or Lil Sister
Each sphere is covered in layers of colorful plastic and features different patterns in the plastic. The inside part can be used as a "hang out" for each doll, and they can be sat on the outside of the sphere. They came in various pink colors, sky blue, mint, and gold. Series 2 added light green, and series 3 added pastel yellow.
In Series 4, the cylinders could be obtained in pink, gold, turquoise, and blue.
For a list on the LOL Mystery Capsule releases see: L.O.L. Surprise!.